Tuesday 2 August 2011

Finally, I have my own blog but I'm still learning

Before this, I've always admire people who have time to share their thinking through their blogs. How I wish I could do the same thing. I love to read but I'm not good in writing. Since I was young, I always expressed my thoughts through drawings or paintings. I thought that was the only thing I was good in until I pursued my studies in Architecture. Architecture is not just about planning or designing buildings, it's a subject of understanding art, culture, human characters and soul. It's very subjective, it does not make you a good architect even if people say you are good in drawings. But Alhamdulillah, I managed to get my Bachelor of Architecture after more than 7 years of studies. I practised as architect only for about 2 years, then I joined the Government.

Many people asked me, "Why did you join the Government? Isn't it a waste after studied Architecture for quite sometime?". To tell you the truth, I did not plan for this. I always thought I would become a famous Malaysian Architect (yeah right, but it's not as easy as I thought). I got so fed up with plans, sections & elevations drawings. Then I realised, we do not have to be what we planned to be. It is nothing wrong to learn new or different things, but practise otherwise. This makes me feel that I can be anything I want despite my background. I can learn more things and this is precious.

My second job after being architect was to be involved with Water Services Industry in developing the policy for the Government. I was no engineer nor manager to understand my role in the Industry.At first, I did not even know what policy means. But I love to explore, I love to learn when I was given the opportunity. My superiors were my great teachers, I learned about many things; asset management, basic accountancy, legal, finance, business skills etc. I was like a sponge, I absorbed as much as I could digest. The most important thing I learned; the importance of reading, writing, listening & practising of what I have analysed.

Sometimes, I think my life is short, which I affraid that won't be able to share most of my experiences with my children. I hope with this blog I could share my ideas, thoughts and experiences with them - Just The Way I See It

No comments:

Post a Comment