Thursday 4 August 2011

My daughter Marsya..

My 3rd daughter, Marsya was diagnosed Autism when she was around 3 years 8 months old. I did notice on her difference from her other siblings like pretending to be deaf or playing by herself most of the time. Futhermore, she has her own way of playing with toys like arranging them horizontally or vertically. She can't hardy talk, some words she uses are not for communicating. In other words, she's a non-verbal. My dad was the first one who noticed her difference but I was not sure & still in a state of denial. After gave birth to Hana (my 4th daughter), then I realised Marsya was not showing any improvements/ progress which I thought that I had to do something about it. Therefore, I decided to take Marsya for further check-ups in HUKM.

They referred her case to Child Development Centre where she was tested. She also had to go through many phases of check-up/screenings. She had to do eye test, hearing test, brain development test etc. After been through many types of detecting Autism tests, Marsya was confirmed to be diagnosed of mild Autism. The doctor also mentioned this is also due to genetics factor after they analysed our family background. Yes, I have an autistic cousin and I was not shocked with the doctor's statement.

How autism changed my life? Autism is not new thing in my life. I have seen how my cousin grew up, but when I was young I did not understand what is Autism. What are the symptoms & early signs. Or might be I was not even care about Autism. But Allah is so Great that He chose me to have His Special Gift. I have read a book about Autism Parents who never stop to heal/improve their special son, which he mentioned " Allah chooses Special People to take care of His Special Gift". This means Allah gives His trust & believes I could manage in facing His challenges which He has set up for me. It's a blessed. Yes, it was very hard at first,I always noticed the awkward looks from others at Marsya's behavior if I took Marsya out. Some of her behaviors are temper tantrums, making no eye contacts, inappropriate laughing,giggling/crying, hyperactive, difficulty in mixing with other children even with her own siblings. Marsya is going to be 6 years old end of this year but she's still not toilet trained. I have tried so many times but she still does not understand why we need to go toilet.


Since Marsya has ben diagnosed with Autism, I started to do research on Autism, the special needs education, education techniques & what other things I could do to improve her. I became obsessed with anything that links with Autism. I searched schools for Marsya, been asking around which school suits her well. I read about Malaysia special needs education then I finally realised that our special education is still being ignored/ left out (but better than 20 years back).I decided to start something at home because I could not just totally depend on HUKM therapy sessions or her school. I started to analyse all my findings & did some implemention  by buying exercise ball, trampoline, printed out homeschooling materials, montessori toys, having rabbits as pets & sand play.




The exercise balls are being used as a part of sensory therapy. They have been shown to give some children the sensory input they need and to help them control impulses.The ball also helps Marsya increases her motor skills. Trampolines are also good therapy for autism,helping them learn to realign their sensory systems.The repetitive stimulation of bouncing into a rebounding surface helps teach the body over a period of time how to read those impulses it has not been able to interpret.
File folder games are great interactive learning activities.
File folder games are used to promote independent work and academic skills for students with Autism.I printed some of the examples frm the websites.As usual laminate them,cut & put velcro tapes.









One of the best learning techniques for Autism- puzzle solving



Wooden Toys- to increase motor skills & sensory development
Wooden Ball Pounder- watch the balls roll down the ramp for visual tracking & gross motor movement.Such a simple action to help develop early shoulder stability,motor planning & eye hand coordination.


Shoe Box Task/Task Box activity-
Work baskets/shoe box tasks are systems for organizing materials into groups that are easily identifiable based on their use.



Children with pervasive developmental disorders (PDD) respond well to pet therapy. The benefits of pet therapy include: love, attachment, and sensory stimulation. One theory is that pet therapy allows a child with autism to first form a relationship with an animal that he can then transfer to humans.

 
The companionship of animals can help reduce any lonely feelings in autistic children, promoting a base of healthy character development within them, including personality traits such as being respectful, trusting, contributing, committed, self-confident, and responsible. Autistic children can also learn decision-making skills, problem-solving skills, and both language and social skills through interactions with animals.



 Play with water/sand involves sensory experiences that appeal to young children.At last, I got them a sand play container from Ikea..Most of the water/sand play table sold in Msia are over priced.Got a new idea, found it at Ikea.


Sand play therapy works with most individuals because it “facilitates access to their deepest self.”


I promised to myself that I will try my best to be the best teacher for my kids especially for Marsya. What ever it is, all my kids have taught me so many things about life. They make me see things differently & most importantly I appreciate my life more. They give me strength and make me stay stronger. Alhamdulillah... 

1 comment: