Monday 17 October 2011

Note for My Children: Lesson 3: Pay It Forward


Dearest Anak-anakku,

Last Saturday I took 2 of you to my friend’s wedding where we received a book & kuih bahulu as the door gift. The small book, “Bingkisan untuk anak-anakku” was written by the bride’s mother as the ‘bunga telur’, as the remembrance of her only daughter’s wedding. I was so touched & I wish I could afford to do the same thing. The contents of book are very short & simple but all the advices are very meaningful. One of the contents is “tentang menjadi Orang yang Baik di sisi Allah SWT” – to become a good person.

Lesson 3: Pay It Forward

I believe being good is not only to Allah but to all living things & to yourself. We should also respect the animals & love them. Who knows they can take us to the Heaven :). There’s a movie called “Pay It Forward” which I just love the message. It is described as an obligation to do three good deeds for others in repayment of a good deed that one receives, and that such good deeds should be things that the person cannot accomplish on their own. The recipient of such acts of kindness is then expected to do three good deeds for others in repayment for the help they have received. In this way, the need to help each other can spread exponentially through society, creating a social movement with the hopes of making the world a better place.

Pay it forward or paying it forward refers to repaying the good deeds one has received by doing good things for other unrelated people. For example, Sarah helps Dania & instead of Dania helps Sarah back, she helps Marsya then Marsya can help Hana & Sarah. In Islam, the message is actually about doing something good sincerely without expecting rewards in return. Remember when I always give you some money & ask you to donate to the needy ones like the blinds, orphans, poor people? This is what your Tok Abah always asked me to do when I was about your age. Until now your Tok Mama sends some food to Rumah Anak-anak Yatim monthly. Try to help others as much as we could afford or capable. This is what you are willing to do & not by forcing. Do all the good deeds with hati yang ikhlas’. All the good deeds will clean your heart. It will be a good habit. =)

I’m sure all of you are kind-hearted. For me, I always try my best to help & do good things to others even if it is hard to do or it is not affordable. It’s hard to say “No. sorry I can’t help you”. When there’s a Makcik sells kerepek/kuih-muih, I just don’t have the heart to say to her “maaf makcik, saya tak mau beli”. I will at least spare RM10. If I don’t have the money means no ‘rezeki’ for that Makcik.  Sometimes you will say “alah…buat apa nak tolong dia, dia bukan baik dengan kita pun” or “I already helped her but she still doing bad things to me”. Don’t worry kids, Allah is always there for us.”Hari ini hari orang lain, esok lusa mungkin hari kita pula”. The most important thing is your heart. Be nice to people & might be the unrelated people/strangers will be nice to you. We don’t know when will be our turn to ask for help.  There’s an old say “Buat baik berpada-pada, buat jahat jangan sekali”.

I can guarantee that you will feel happy when you make other people happy. You won’t lose anything. Keep your friendships because I always believe in them.

I hope you get this message right. All of you are my anak-anak solehah.

Love, Mama


by Tini Yahya on Tuesday, 13 September 2011 at 16:15

No comments:

Post a Comment